The first day of fall is finally upon us next week. Though of course social media, Starbucks, the grocery stores, and even in my house started the celebration of the pumpkin season at the beginning of September there's still something special to me about the official season change. Texas summers are brutally hot, so I count down to the days where we see highs in the 80's consistently, and even more exciting the weeks we spend in the 70's and below when I can open the windows, turn off the ac and bust out the layered clothing.
Of course I'm exceptionally excited for this new season this year because it also begins a new season of life for in our home. Mid-October (given we have no more surprises between now and then) we will be welcoming John and Hunter into the world. Despite my non-progressive preterm contractions and a second unplanned hospital stay, I'm happy to report much to our relief our little guys are growing at an awesome rate again! So we proceed on and cross our fingers there are no more growth declines that could prevent us from making it to the 36 week mark.
We thought for sure that these boys were trying their luck at being summer babies when I had to call Taylor on his way to work and tell him to turn around when I had labor like contractions every 2-3 minutes lasting roughly a minute a piece. We were pleased and surprised to learn that I had no cervical changes. Originally we were told by the L&D staff that a bad uti was causing them, my doctor dismissed this quickly and deemed it pre-labor. They loaded me up on meds to both control the contractions and improve the twins lungs and neurological development in case we do in fact meet them early they've got some extra protection. When the nurses informed me after stopping the (awful) magnesium drip and starting my oral anti-contraction medication that I was still contracting I felt defeated. I was so sure I was going to be stuck in the hospital to spend more time on the drip. Thankfully much to my surprise my doctor came in shortly after the nurses spoke with me and said that our goal is to control and space the contractions, and that goal has been met for the time being! So I was sent home back on full bed rest (those modifications didn't last long), an every 4-6 hour dose of procardia to keep these contractions at bay. So far so good, just three more weeks until our big goal and 3 and a half weeks until my scheduled c-section. Honestly compared to the last thirteen weeks of bed rest, this will be cake, three weeks is nothing! My APU nurses were wonderful but I'm just so happy to be home in my own bed, no IV machine ticking next to my face, no measuring and recording my output (yes this means pee) and I get to snuggle my furry babies again.
So the season of my pregnancy is coming to an end, and the season of new parenthood is right around the corner. I will be holding my babies by my birthday just like my fertility specialist promised me last fall, it's all so surreal. Thanks to the medicine leaving me in a constant state of sleepiness the next couple of weeks should fly by, wake me up when September ends ;)
Until next time,
Momma D
XOXO

No comments:
Post a Comment