Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Welcome home Hunter

I've had several people tell me the last month that they've missed my blog. So have I. Well this is happening at my house currently, so I'm taking advantage of sleeping and fed babies, clean bottles and walked dogs and updating for your reading and my writing pleasure.


So let me tell you the tale of our first Thanksgiving as a family of four, how it almost wasn't and how it came to be. On the morning of November 17th I called the charge nurse to confirm our room in and she told a very excited me that the room would be ready for us at 4:30pm. Rooming in is a practice run for families who have babies coming home on equipment so that they can get acquainted with everything. Its just like being at home except you have a nurse if you need her just a phone call and a hospital floor away. 10 minutes later I was packing John's things to spend the night with Taylor's mom and "Women's hospital" popped up on my phone, I thought for sure it must've been our nurse asking when we were coming. "Hi, Mrs. Denman this is Hunter's doctor, we need more time". I was crushed. I woke Taylor up in hysterics, we didn't see it coming. We were so ready to be done with the hospital and have our baby home. But for some reason God and Hunter decided that was not his homecoming day. Hunter had a roughly 24 hour period of tachypnea; fast breathing. 

He quickly corrected his breathing but he had to behave for 48-72 hours before they would let us room in. They used that time to try and figure out what happened. The first assumption was an aspiration or penetration (right on the edge of aspiration). Ultimately though the pulmonary specialist said he just had a bad day as far as his recovery from his premature lung disease goes. And it just happened to be the worst day for a bad day. They also used this time to try to figure out why he wasn't eating orally well. They ran a series of tests and things came back beautifully he still just needs a little more time to mature since he started out so sick. So with that they felt comfortable to prepare us again for Hunter's homecoming on NG tube feeds. But this time we kept it low key. We were scared to get attached to the idea again. But we did it! On November 22nd we roomed in and things went perfectly, and we woke up the next morning and finally left the hospital with our baby! Just in time to have our family together for Thanksgiving. Now THAT is something to be thankful for.

Thanksgiving was wonderful, we ate, we laughed, babies were cuddled, John pooped (alot) Hunter pulled his tube out and I had to re-place it and traumatized my brother in law. The boys are loving being back together. Some people say babies don't know whats going on around them. I disagree. They both seem to have a sense of calm and contentment about them that they didn't have when they were separated. Hunter is already feeding better at home! He's finished 5 bottles in the last 24 hours, a new personal best for him. And the ones he hasn't finished he's taken at least half of. He has a few doctors he's following up with but he's doing great!

As for mommy and daddy we could not be happier. He didn't get any paternity leave so I had to jump in head first on double duty. He did however get moved over to day shift, timing couldn't have been more perfect. It's so much easier than having my heart ripped in two constantly, I am so much more at ease these days. I'm tired and busy but I'm so happy. I'm loving every minute of this, being their mommy really is my calling. And thats no BS.

We got our Thanksgiving wish come true!
And it really was the most thankful Thanksgiving of all! 


Until next time,
Momma D
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment